Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Thoughts of a Barmaid

For a number of years I have been involved with Scarborough Faire. I remember my first visit like it was yesterday. I was a teen. I'd never heard of it. A couple of friends took me out there and another friend loaned me a costume (yes, my first time was in garb). I walked through the front gate and one word entered my mind: home. Somehow I knew I was home. After several years as a pet patron, I finally had a job with weekends off. I auditioned for cast and actually made it. I've been a part of the Faire ever since. Performer, sales clerk, shop owner (with my now ex husband), ticket booth and, ever since, 2001, bartender. I think this is the very best job at Faire. I actually get paid to play dress up (every little girls dream). I get paid to bar hop (lol). And I have made tons of friends - good friends - over the years.

Being such a part of this faire, I hear what patrons say, too. I've heard patrons complaining about the prices for entry, food and drink. To those people, I say this. Have you ever been to 6 Flags? Disney? Sea World? Our admission prices are far more reasonable than any of those parks. Have you bought food or drink at venues like American Airlines Center? State Faire of Texas? Lonestar Park? I will use the State Fair as an example. You will pay 8 dollars for a 10 oz domestic beer. We charge 5.50 for 16 oz. Ever buy a funnel cake at 6 Flags? Theirs isn't nearly as good as ours and they charge 6 or 7 dollars. We charge 4.

So next time you are thinking of complaining about prices, think about the comparables. Then think about what we offer. We have live street performers, actual artisans (as opposed from reselling imports from over seas) and a true family feel.

Just food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diamond here. Just a few things: This is not a single chat room - hook up somewhere else. Profanity, cruelty, spamming, flaming, bigotry, etc will NOT be tolerated.